Disney Research Los Angeles is looking for a Research Scientist in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning with applications in Natural Language Representation, Understanding, and Generation for Embodied Conversational Agents.
As part of The Walt Disney Company, Disney Research builds upon a rich legacy of innovation and technology leadership in the entertainment industry that continues to this day. Disney Research was launched in 2008 offering the best attributes of academia and industry with the goal of driving value across the company through technological innovation. Our research covers a broad range of exciting and challenging applications that are experienced daily by millions of people around the world.
Our staff interacts directly with all core business areas of The Walt Disney Company including Theme Parks and Imagineering, Consumer Products, our Live Action and Animation Studios, and Media Networks. We publish our research and are actively engaged with the global research community, and our researchers collaborate closely with local academic institutions.
We are looking for passionate and creative individuals who want to shape the future of entertainment in collaboration with the greatest creative minds in the world. You will work with artists, engineers, scientists, filmmakers, and actors to understand the impact of your work under an umbrella of the world’s most beloved characters and stories. With access to very unique data, you will tackle problems that are only possible to explore at Disney and tailor your research efforts to directly impact guest experiences.
- Are you looking for unique data and problems?
- Are you passionate about your research and excited by the opportunity to apply your work to the Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, Disney Feature Animation universes?
- Are you excited by the opportunity to perform deep, game changing research, while contributing to world knowledge, and being directly responsible for the smile of a child (or the child at heart)?
If so, join our team and let’s make the impossible, possible.
- Drive value for The Walt Disney Company through groundbreaking research and innovation
- Hiring and mentoring post-doctoral researchers, interns, and work with external collaborators
- Develop a strong network of business partners within the company
- Lead efforts to transfer technology to relevant Disney business units
- Publish research results and patent inventions
- Participate in conferences, workshops, and academic-industrial events
- Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, or related technical fields
- Proven track record of publishing in conferences such as AAAI, NIPS, ICML, ACL, or EMNLP or significant industrial experience
- Possess strong technical presentation skills and ability to communicate with technical and non-technical audiences clearly
Experience in the following areas is desirable:
- Statistical models for Natural Language Parsing, understanding and generation
- Statistical Dialogue systems and dialogue planning
- Deep Learning models
- Interactive speech and language technologies
- Speech recognition and synthesis
- Prosody analysis and synthesis
- Symbolic Reasoning and Inferencing
- Human-Computer/Human-Robot Interfaces