Disney Research Los Angeles is looking for a Research Scientist in Human-Robot Interaction, holding a Ph.D. or significant industry experience in the following areas or related fields:
- Autonomous social robotics
- Humanoid or human-like robots
- Multimodal interactions
- Action selection mechanisms
- Social interaction design and understanding
- Emotional expression through motion
- Perception for HRI
- Recognition of Emotion, Action, and Intent
- Machine learning applied to HRI
Our Research Scientists work on and contribute to research projects relevant to the Walt Disney Company including Walt Disney Imagineering. WDI, in particular, designs and creates the most advanced robotic characters for the theme parks and fine tunes the guest experience, conducting play tests outside and within the parks. Disney Research is committed to enhancing guest interactions with robotic characters through systematic advancements in HRI.
In general, the duties of a research scientist are to:
- Conduct complex, advanced research projects in areas of interest to Disney Research and our partnering Business Units
- Develop new and advanced cutting-edge techniques and algorithms
- Transfer and implement results and technology in hardware and software prototypes and demonstration systems
- Survey relevant technologies and stay abreast of latest developments
- Draft and submit papers and patents based on research
- Assist in the hiring and mentoring process of Post Doctoral Researchers, Lab Associates, and Interns
As part of The Walt Disney Company, Disney Research builds upon a rich legacy of innovation and technology leadership in the entertainment industry that continues to this day. Disney Research was launched in 2008 offering the best attributes of academia and industry with the goal of driving value across the company through technological innovation. Our research covers a broad range of exciting and challenging applications that are experienced daily by millions of people around the world.
Our staff interacts directly with all core business areas of The Walt Disney Company including Theme Parks and Imagineering, Consumer Products, our Live Action and Animation Studios, and Media Networks. We publish our research and are actively engaged with the global research community, and our researchers collaborate closely with local academic institutions.